Polled Shorthorn Buyer's GuideGrass-fed Genetics
What you will get with us
- Smooth Polled Shorthorns (totally free of scurs) raised under totally naturally conditions so they easily adapt to any condition.
- Guaranteed Homozygous Polled heifers and bulls available. Bred heifers guaranteed to be carrying a heifer calf available on a limited basis.
- The most rigorous standards for reproduction including reproductive tract scoring and pelvic measurement.
- Strict selection for maternal traits because without this breeders end up at a dead end. Our cows raise their own calves.
- The most comprehensive health standards in the breed including testing for Bovine Leucosis Virus (BLV). Our entire herd has tested negative for BLV.
- Complete Johne's Disease testing of all adults on an annual basis. We have never had a positive and we participate in a Johne's Certification Program.
- Heifers selected for disposition so they are easy to work with.
- Honest birth weights whether they are 60# or 120#.
- Polled Shorthorns that represent the Shorthorn color spectrum.
- Rare and unique pedigrees that encompass the finest Heritage Shorthorns genetics in the breed.
What you not will get with us
- No special diets (buckets of grain) that alter and pump up EPD results.
- No retained ET flushes. You buy her you own her.
- No exposure to Johne's Disease or Bovine Leucosis Virus through IVF or ET recipients.
- No usage of nurse cows to pump up growth and weaning weights.
- No retained tissue samples for later cloning of the same animal.
- No fudging of birth weights.
- No black Shorthorns-"Black Angus Syndrome". (What a travesty that certain breeders are now producing black Shorthorn pluses.)
- No emphasis on solid red color-"Red Angus Syndrome".