Suffolk Sheep Buyer's GuideGrass-fed Genetics
What you will get with us
- Suffolks bloodlines available no where else because of semen we have from 1980's rams when Suffolks were definitely "the breed in the lead".
- Registration papers that reflect true Suffolks, not crossbreeds.
- Large Suffolks in every sense of the word. They have frame and mass.
- Ewes that consistently produce twins and triplets and have the milk to raise them.
- Tails docked leaving at least 3 coccygeal vertebrae as recommended by the American Veterinarian Medical Association.
- Ewes that have the ability to live 7-10 years.
- Vigorous rams that can be used on large numbers of ewes and maintain body condition. They are not pampered.
- Healthy Suffolks that do not have the common medical problems/diseases seen in sheep in today's marketplace.
What you not will get with us
- No crossbreed that has been issued registration papers by the United Suffolk Sheep Association, when it may only be 75% Suffolk. (Buyers need to ask about any recent crossbreeding.)
- No ewes that repeatedly produce singles and don't even produce enough milk to raise them.
- No so called "frame" Suffolks that are tall but have no body mass.
- No so called "market" or "club lamb" Suffolks that are short and dumpy and have difficulty lambing.
- No tails docked or "scooped out" so short that the first time a ewe lambs she prolapses. This is simply inhumane.
- No expectation for ewes to die at 3-5 years of age because longevity has been ignored.
- No rams that lack virility.
- No medical problems brought on by common sheep disease such as foot rot and ovine pleuropneumonia.